Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Absinthe and whiskey..a match made in heaven.

Tonight, I made my way home through the misty mountains of Santa Cruz..weary. After a long and trying day all I could think was about my sofa, a fire and sleep. With another long day ahead of me tomorrow I didn't even think whiskey was on my agenda for the night.

I had forgotten that earlier that day my husband had informed me that he had researched how to make a Sazerac and he was picking up some absinthe at BevMo to make me one. So when I received a text of "eta?",  I assumed nothing. But when I entered my home, cheeks chilled from the cold..I made my way back to the warm kitchen where my husband was working away to ease me of the burden of my day.

A Sazaerac, if you are unfamiliar, is a whiskey drink. Surprised? It includes an icy chilled glass washed out with absinthe, with a combination of whiskey (rye), simple syrup, bitters and a twist of lemon.

It is downright DELICIOUS. You get a faint hint of the absinthe, peppery and sharp. The rye whiskey (Bulleit Rye) is smooth and soft in comparison, you get a hint of sweet and sour from the lemon and sugar. The finish is short and to the point. No need for a song and dance, this drink doesn't mess around. It is strong, it is bold..it will f*ck you up. And after my day it is just what I needed.


Drink with caution, but enjoy. Until next times my dears, Cheers!
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment