Monday, January 28, 2013

Rye I oughta!!



I have officially gone beyond bourbons. I didn't mean to, I swear. I heard so many rumblings about this "Rye whiskey"...I just had to try it. And I have to admit, I was a bit nervous. The syrupy sweetness of bourbon I find seductive and comforting, the stickiness reminding me of all the sensualities that life has to offer. I think thats what I really love about whiskey and why I wish more women enjoyed it. I drink whiskey and I feel more womanly. It is such a sexy drink. And the thought of that sweetness being gone made me believe that I would be left with something too harsh for a delicate flower such as myself to enjoy.

When I finally got the bottle of Bulleit Rye Whiskey in my hands I held it up to the light, looking for a difference in color or viscosity. A beautiful amber color, its smooth bottle reflected the light, making the edges seem golden like a trophy. I have to say, I was rather excited to have this "outsider" amongst my ever growing, ever proud true bourbon collection. I was dying to compare this against my tried and true love: bourbon.

Grass isn't always greener folks.

Rye Whiskey is LIGHT. The thing with bourbon is that the weight on the tongue is quite pronounced. This Rye Whiskey is like a light kiss in the golden sunshine of early summer...the wind light against your cheek, your thoughts wrapped up in the moment. You kind of forget where you are for a moment. I mean, I know I am drinking whiskey, but damn, it goes down EASY. Its a little uncomplicated for my taste, however this would be downright dangerous in a Manhattan or Whiskey Sour.

The upfront notes are mild and unobtrusive.  A slight honey and caramel scent. Very pleasurable. When you take your first sip it is soooooo smooth. Not the upfront fire of spice that I am used to with Bourbons. But then...wait for it...BAM! That spice hits and lasts for about 10 seconds..then dissipates as quickly as it made its introduction.  No long, hot finish. A very self contained whiskey, although I think I might prefer the deeper flavors of the bourbon.

Not to have my bourbon bar outdone, I also got my little hands on a bottle of Four Roses: Small batch.

Fucking YUM.

I've started to enjoy the intense upfront smell of a bourbon. Four roses' in the beginning is intense. Super strong oak, vanilla and cinnamon, I could see how this would be a turn off for some. But let it breathe for a few minutes and it relaxes. It flowers, evolving...Add a  few droplets of water and swirl it becomes downright gentle.  With the high alcohol content cut down (its a 90 proof) you can really taste the strong vanilla and light oak. This, THIS is what I like in a whiskey neat. I am finding that I really prefer this to a super smooth pour.  I want to feel alive, reminded of my body and my breath fiery with spice. After I have a bourbon such as Four Roses, even if its just a strong sip,  I am reminded that I am full of vigor and ready to kick some ass.

Until next time my friends..Cheers!
Jenn






No comments:

Post a Comment