Monday, January 14, 2013

My name is Jennifer, and I love Whiskey.

I love Whiskey.

There, I said it.

As a woman, that is something of a unique declaration as Whiskey is often seen as a mans drink. When ordering it I get blank stares from women and chuckles and looks of admiration from men. But love it I do. I have chosen this to be the year that I deepen my love and understanding of this beautiful creation. This is the year I drink it neat, flower it with a touch of water and refine my palate to taste all those subtleties that I read so much about.

Its amazing what this interest entails, and how it makes me feel. I swirl my whiskey around my glass and watch in awe as the oils cling to the glass, slowly making their way down to pool with the rest of the whiskey at the bottom of the glass. I stick my face in the glass and take a deep, slow inhalation. Fiery, but I can smell so many different notes. I take a sip and feel the hotness work its way down my throat and into my belly, the warmth dissipating after a minute of two. Drinking whiskey is a whole body experience I am finding, and I like it.

When I started researching all the different whiskies I was really overwhelmed. Tens of thousands of whiskies are made throughout the world, where on earth should I begin? Then I decided: I am an American girl, I will start with Bourbons.  Bourbon, in order to be called Bourbon, MUST be made in good ol' US of A. It was labeled by congress as "a distinctive product of the United States" and it seemed like the perfect place for me to begin my journey.

Tonight as I write, I am enjoying a glass of W.L. Weller 12 year aged Bourbon. And before I give you my thoughts on Weller, please understand that I am no expert of whiskey. At least not yet anyway. This blog is a window into my process of the understanding and appreciation of whiskey..

W.L. Weller Aged 12 Years: A Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey:

I am really enjoying this bourbon. After I pour two (or three) fingers in a glass I swirl and take a huge whiff. At first, the alcohol smell is somewhat intense but you get past that. Specific scents start to present themselves: vanilla, almond and a drippy sweetness that  is delightful. I get hints of a cognac flavor as well. This bourbon is also very, very smooth and heavy on the tongue. Not at all harsh. This is something to enjoy after a long day when you want to be alone with your thoughts, because for me, paying attention to all these details sets a mood of reflection.

When a single piece of ice is added to flavor profile doesn't radically change but that wall of vapor is dissipated making the whiskey so much more approachable. The flavors dilute a bit however I find that at the same time the ice, once melted, soften the edges of those intense flavors and I appreciate how the dynamic of the whiskey changes. It is incredible how it unfolds, changes and evolves. How beautiful is that?

This is a whiskey I would not mix with anything. Neat is the way to go. Now, I'm not against mixed bourbon drinks, I am a die hard whiskey sour girl. Its just that Weller 12 year has way too much to offer on its own to be masked by other flavors. And for $28 for 750ml its a really great bourbon for a fantastic price.



Cheers!
Jennifer






2 comments:

  1. Great blog! Wonderful descriptions...I can taste the whiskey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I hope as my palate becomes more refined that I can articulate better the nuances.
    Cheers!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete