Thursday, January 17, 2013

Sometimes you can't be a purist. Sometimes you just need a drink.

There are evenings where I sit in my dimly lit living room with three fingers of whiskey poured and I methodically and consciously seek out the subtle notes in the whiskey. I reflect and delight in the expression of the different flavors and let my reflective perspective wander into other areas of my life.

Tonight? I just need a fucking drink.

It has been a hellacious week. With the commencement of another semester that included over 11 hours of chemistry and biology my brain is absolutely fried. I don't want to reflect, I want to check out. And I don't know if you know this, but a stiff drink helps greatly with that endeavor. And when you want to check out Whiskey neat is not the way to go. At least not for me. I need something mixed. Something that goes down easy and tastes of candy. Something that takes the edge off. As. quickly. as. possible.

Let me introduce you to my new favorite way to consume Whiskey fast and  mixed: Whiskey with Ginger Beer. This combination is amazing, refreshing and goes down really, REALLY easy. Now, please don't confuse Ginger Beer with Ginger Ale. It is not even close to being the same. Ginger beer actually has ginger in it, not just a bunch of chemicals. It also has a bite to it, which complements a spicier whiskey very well. My absolute favorite is Reed's Extra Ginger Brew.

Tonight, Makers Mark is on the menu. Now, I know that many feel that Maker's Mark is a subpar bourbon. But Mark and I have a long and complicated history. Mark is fiery, with a good upfront punch to him..and while many don't like that,  I for one am a girl that likes it a little rough sometimes.

Its easy really. Small glass filled with ice. Fill the glass 2/3 with Whiskey and a large splash of Ginger Beer. Sit back and enjoy. Don't choose a whiskey that is super smooth, this drink is best with a strong and bold bourbon. Something that punches you right in the face if you try and drink it neat. You get the idea.

The oaky vanilla  flavor of Maker's is distinct swirled within the Ginger Brew. The ice in the glass coupled with the floater of ginger brew cuts through most of the strong alcohol fumes that fill the glass. However, the bite of the ginger brew highlights the spice notes of the Makers Mark and compliments it very well. I am a happy, whiskey loving girl right now.

Happy Thirsty Thursday everyone, may you find whatever quenches your thirst.

Cheers,
Jenn








No comments:

Post a Comment